Steel hardtail mountain bikes are a staple in the midwest. We at the shop all grew up on them and love the way they have evolved particularly in the last few years. We set out to build the perfect modern hardtail that won't feel antiquated in 5 years time. Here's what we came up with.
- A balanced geometry that doesn't slacken your headtube to the point of making your front wheel flop in the tight, windy singletrack, but it promises to gives you enough confidence when you're riding somewhere a bit rockier and steeper, say up in Duluth or Marquette.
- A sufficiently tight rear-center wheelbase to make the bike nimble but not comically "tukt." We do like a stable rear end for those longer days after all.
- A Steel frame that doesn't feel like a tank.
- Wireless shifting? yes please! Less cable stop interruptions on this beautiful fade done by our friend Oliver at Dark Matter Finishing.
Enough rambling. You should ride this bike, or at least see it in person.
|Frame||Custom Northern Frameworks - 19" M/L|
|Fork||Fox Factory 34 - 120mm - Stepcast - 110mm axle|
|Headset||White Industries ZS44/EC44 Black|
|Rims/Wheels||Derby AM Carbon Rims 32h - 27.5"|
|Hubs||White Industries CLD Boost hubs|
|Tires||Maxxis Rekon 27.5"+ x 2.8" TR, 3C, EXO, MAXXTERRA, SilkShield|
|Crankset||White Industries M30 - 170mm|
|Bottom Bracket||White Industries T47|
|Chain||Sram XX1 Eagle Gold|
|Rear Derailleur||XX1 AXS|
|Rear Cogs||Sram XX1 Eagle Gold 10-50 12 speed|
|Shifters||Sram XX1 Axs|
|Handlebars||Salsa Rustler Carbon Riser|
|Tape/Grips||ESI extra chunky|
|Brake Levers||Shimano XT|
|Brakes||Shimano XT M8000 2-piston|
|Saddle||WTB Volt Pro|
|Seat Post||Fox Transfer Factory Series 125mm travel w/Wolf Tooth ReMote|
|Accessories & Extras||King Cage - Stainless steel bottle cage x 2|
* Subject to change without notice.