SILCA Super Secret Chain Lube brings all of the super speed and silent running of a hot-melt wax-dipped chain to a drip applied wax (all of the benefits, none of the hassle!). Secret Chain lube also utilizes the world's fastest, most lubricious additive, nano-scale Tungsten Di-Sulfide. NanoPlatelet WS2 has less than 1/3 the dynamic coefficient of friction of PTFE and 1/4 that of Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2)
Who's it for?
The cyclist looking to maximize performance through friction reduction, or the cyclist who loves a silent running bicycle.
Why we designed it?
SILCA Super Secret Chain lube started out as a project to develop the fastest Hot-Melt wax lubricant available more than a year ago. Josh has been recommending Hot Melt Wax and helping Pro cyclists and triathletes wax chains for years and wanted to bring his lubricant formula to our customers, the challenge was how to consistently melt, dip and agitate the chain across different crockpot designs and temperatures. The project took a fascinating turn from the world of IndyCar when josh was introduced to a group that had developed a technology to put micro-scale wax powders into a solution that was quick drying and forms a coating that is indiscernible from hot melt dipping. The combination of air-drying liquid wax and Tungsten Disulfide would quickly prove to beat all currently available hot melt waxes in friction testing while being much faster and easier to apply.
Best of all perhaps is that this formula would prove to be very environmentally friendly, utilizing 4 different types of wax, nano platelets of WS2 (Tungsten Disulfide), and mild alcohol to act as a carrier. This same alcohol is used in the SILCA Gear Wipes, making them a perfect product to clean and remove Secret Chain Lube.
4 oz. and 8 oz. bottles with the precision applicator tip for dripping on your chain or 16 oz. jar with 12 oz. lube (leaving room for your chain) for dipping the chain
The chain should be VERY clean and dry before applying.
Apply according to video and let dry for AT LEAST 12 Hours for optimal results, 24 hours if applied in cool or humid weather conditions! We recommend applying the lube AFTER your ride so it's ready for next time!
NOTE: Over time the WS2 will begin to settle to the bottom of the bottle, shake well before using!
APPLYING THE LUBE (NOTE UPDATE!)
1. Be sure to have chainline relatively straight (53/15 or so)
2. Shake bottle well and open tip halfway
3. Begin applying drip lube to top of rollers while pedaling backward. Be sure to apply at least 1 drop per roller and no more than 2 drops per roller while continuing to backpedal.
4. Use fingers on top-bottom of chain to work the lube into rollers while backpedaling at least 3-4 revolutions.
5. Pedal forward shifting all the way to top of the cassette, pedal for at least 3-4 revolutions. The extreme chain angle opens gaps between plates to allow the lube to better work into the chain. Continue pedaling, shifting through all gears on the rear cassette at least once.
6. Stop pedaling and allow Secret Chain Lube to dry for minimum 12 hours, test results show that lube is fully hardened in 24 hours. ZeroFrictionCycling found SSCL to be best dry lube EVER Tested after 8 hours drying, but would be EVEN BETTER after 24 hours!!
7. SILCA Gear Wipes may be used to remove any excess lube from chainrings if you desire a cleaner look.
Note: Temperature and Humidity will affect drying time of SSCL, and the dryer it is when you ride it, the longer it will last. Drying time will also be affected by temperature, lube will dry faster in warmer temperatures and at lower humidity, and lube will take longer to dry in cold or more humid conditions. We recommend 24 hours as the optimal drying time.
SILCA Chain Lube Application Instructions
How to apply Silca Chain Lube